If you loved chocolate pudding as a kid, then I think this homemade chocolate pie recipe will become a classic at your family gatherings. Why do I say that?
Well it has always been a family favorite in our home, and I want to share that goodness with you.
That’s always my goal here at You Can Live Rich on Less. To make life better for you, whether it’s sharing a family recipe, or talking about the benefits of hygge.
And I can’t think of a better way than with this amazing homemade chocolate pudding pie!
This is a no-bake pie, and by that I mean that you cook the chocolate pie filling on the stove.
Kind of like the way we cook our lemon pie filling, or coconut cream pies! In fact most cream pies are cooked on the stove top, and poured into a pre-baked pie shell.
And this pie filling does not include eggs. That might help you make up your mind!
I’ll show you step by step how to create this amazing pie. Even if you have never made a pie before this recipe is so easy, and we’ve got a video for you too!
You will need: whipping cream, 1 – 9” pre-baked pie shell, white sugar, cornstarch, unsweetened cocoa powder, whole milk, unsalted butter, pure vanilla extract, milk chocolate chips.
Our Homemade Chocolate Pie
As a child I loved chocolate pudding. Mom would make the cooked version of Jello chocolate pudding on the stove with lots of milk.
She would pour it into these cute little glass dishes and then put them in fridge. A thick skin would develop on top of the pudding as it chilled, and we just thought that was the best part!
As kids, my brother and sister and I knew we could always look forward to a chocolate pie at any special family gathering.
This was usually Easter, Christmas and sometimes at Thanksgiving. But Easter and Christmas holidays were a given.
And if we were really really lucky, a homemade chocolate pudding pie would show up just because.
Just because Grandma knew how much her grandchildren loved this pie!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE PIE
- Use whole milk (3%) to make your Chocolate Pie Filling
- Stay with your pot and keep stirring while the pudding thickens – milk will burn easily!
- Follow the recipe instructions exactly.
- Make sure the plastic film touches the pudding when you wrap the pie before putting it in the refrigerator
- Bake Judy’s No Fail Pie Crust ahead of time. It’s so easy!
CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE FAQS
1. Why do you cover the hot chocolate pie filling with plastic wrap?
Covering the hot pudding before you put the pie in the refrigerator keeps the air away from it, and prevents a thick skin from forming on top. You want your pie filling to be super creamy, not chunky! xo
2. What makes the chocolate pie filling thicken?
The thickener is corn starch, that has been well blended with sugar. That’s why it’s so important to keep stirring the pie filling while it is cooking on the stove.
3. Why do some recipes for chocolate pie use eggs?
There are many pudding pie filling recipes that use eggs in the recipe, but I think you will prefer this one, since it really has a decadent chocolate flavour, and holds it shape once chilled as well.
4. What other kinds of pie crust could I use?
We really love our shortcrust pastry pie crust that is made with half butter and half lard.
If you are short on time, you could buy a frozen pie shell and pre-bake it, just be sure to follow the instructions below about blind baking the pie crust.
Even a graham cracker crust that’s pre-made is a delicious base for this yummy chocolate pie!
5. I’ve never baked before, is this an easy recipe?
It really is! We love easy recipes, and try to stick to the classics, and recipes that have ingredients that are usually in your kitchen cupboard, or at your favorite grocery store.
My goal is to give you delicious recipes, that are easy to make and that your family and friends will love.
YOU MAY NEED
You’ve made this delicious pie for a potluck or maybe to take over to your girlfriend’s for coffee and dessert, so how do you get it there?
Everyone needs a ‘pie carrier’ just like this one (it works for cake too!) I just love mine and use it over and over…
This Pyrex Portables Pie Carrier (now I dare you to say that fast!) even has a pie plate inside!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
In addition to this amazing homemade Chocolate Pie Recipe, we got lots of other no-bake recipes that are family classics.
We also have a great collection of articles about Hygge, the Danish concept of happiness.
At the moment I can’t think of anything that will make you happier than this Chocolate Pudding Pie!
- Apple Pie Lasagna
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- No Bake Grasshopper Pie
- How to Enjoy Hygge All Year Long
- Delicious and Easy Cherry Pie Recipe
GRANDMA’S HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE PIE
Are you ready to make this easy Homemade Chocolate Pie part of your family’s story?
I can guarantee that your friends and family will rave about the flavour and want seconds, so you might want to make two pies. (Just double the recipe 🙂 )
The chocolate pie filling is silky smooth, with rich chocolate flavour, and we get extra sweetness from making our own whipped cream!
Even if you have never baked a pie before, we’ve got your back with pie crust videos and also how to make the chocolate pie filling.
Can’t you just taste that creamy chocolate pie filling rolling off your tongue? And I can guarantee that this chocolate pie will disappear in minutes!
This old fashioned homemade chocolate pie recipe is one of my Grandma's and it's a family favourite! A creamy pudding pie filling, topped with mile high whipped cream, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Chocolate Pie Filling
- 1 9" pie shell, pre-baked
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups whole milk, 3% milk fat
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, semi sweetened
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups whipping cream, 35% milk fat
- 2 tbsps powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan mix sugar. cornstarch, cocoa powder.
- Gradually add milk and stir until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,until boiling, and it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Immediately Stir in butter and vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.
- Cool slightly, then pour mixture into pastry shell.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap so that the wrap seals the pie.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, beat your whipping cream, powdered sugar & vanilla extract and spread on top of pie. Sprinkle with funfetti or chocolate shavings - or both!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.