This old fashioned homemade chocolate pie recipe is about to become a classic at your family gatherings. Why do I say that?
Well, it’s a no-bake chocolate pie that serves as a beautiful reminder of the chocolate pudding we used to enjoy as kids. It’ll bring back a touch of nostalgia.
You see, it’s always been a family favorite in our home, and I can’t wait to share the creamy chocolate goodness with you.
So, what’s unique about this no-bake recipe? Well, like many no-bake pies – the filling is cooked on the stovetop and poured into a ready-made crust. No oven time is needed!
It’s truly an amazing pie and a simple recipe perfect for beginners. If you’re new to pie-making, we’ve got your back – with pie crust videos, and also how to make the chocolate pie filling.
Reasons to Love This Recipe
- Simple – This is a no-bake pie recipe. It’s super easy, using a pre-baked pie shell and simple ingredients.
- Chocotastic – The filling is silky smooth with a rich chocolate flavor, and the homemade whipped cream adds an extra touch of sweetness.
- Egg-Free – There are no eggs or egg yolks in this pie. This might help you make up your mind if you have dietary restrictions.
- Perfect Dessert – A great recipe for those chocolate lovers who can’t resist that rich chocolate flavor.
The creamy chocolatey taste is out of this world, and I promise this pie will disappear in minutes!
You’ll find all the ingredients to make this Chocolate Pie recipe in your local grocery store:
- Pie shell: The base for our pie can be bought pre-made, or you can try making a homemade pie crust.
- Chocolate chips: Melt into the warm mixture, making it even richer. Use milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder: The backbone of our rich chocolate filling. I prefer unsweetened cocoa powder, but you can use whatever types of cocoa powder you have at hand.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness to balance the bittersweet chocolate cocoa. Use white or brown sugar.
- Whole Milk: Gives the pie a luscious, creamy texture. Use heavy cream or whipping cream for a richer taste.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds a velvety texture and flavor. Use melted butter.
- Cornstarch: Helps the filling thicken just right – so it has a creamy texture.
- Vanilla: The finishing touch. Try to use pure vanilla extract.
You May Also Need…
So you’ve made this no-bake chocolate pie recipe to take over for a potluck, or maybe to your girlfriend’s for coffee and dessert.
The problem is carrying a pie can be a bit of a hassle. How do you get it there in one piece?
Well, I have the solution! Everyone needs a pie carrier just like this one. I love mine and use it over and over, not just for pies but cakes, too!
This high-quality Pyrex Portables Pie Carrier (now I dare you to say that fast!) even has a pie plate included! Your pie recipes will never be safer!
How to Make Chocolate Pie
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make this easy old-fashioned Chocolate Pie. See the recipe card below if you need more help.
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa powder in a large saucepan.
- Gradually add the milk and stir until well blended.
- Cook the pie mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it boils. When it starts to thicken, remove from the heat immediately.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, then pour into the pre-baked pie shell.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature, then seal with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Before serving, whip together cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer or electric mixer. Spread on top of the pie. Add other garnish as desired.
Expert Chocolate Pie Tips
Follow these expert tips to make the best Chocolate Pie:
- Whole Milk: Use whole milk (3%) for the filling – for the perfect creaminess that takes the pie from good to great.
- Be Careful: Stay by your pot and keep stirring while the pudding thickens – milk burns easily!
- Stick to the Script: Follow the recipe instructions exactly. It’s been tested to give you the best results.
- Air? No Way!: When you’re wrapping your pie in plastic, make sure it’s touching the pudding. You want zero air sneaking in there.
- No-Fail Crust: Opt for Judy’s No-Fail Pie Crust and bake it ahead. It’s super simple and provides a stellar base for your filling.
- Smooth Filling: When making the filling, aim for a smooth texture without lumps. It’s the difference between a good pie and a great one.
How to Serve
When it comes to serving your homemade chocolate pudding pie, there’s lot you can do.
I like to sprinkle with a little Funfetti sprinkles or chocolate shavings – or both!
You can also garnish with chocolate curls, crushed Oreo cookies, or even a few lashings of melted chocolate!
How to Store
Now you’ve got your creamy chocolate pie – you need to keep it fresh. Just follow this guide:
- Fridge: The best way is to wrap the pie securely in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container. This will stop it from absorbing any fridge odors.
- Freezer: If you’re looking for longer storage, again, use plastic wrap to seal the pie tightly and place it inside an airtight container. This will help retain its flavor and prevent freezer burn. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the fridge.
Chocolate Pie FAQs
Here are some of the questions people have asked me about this easy homemade Chocolate Pie:
Why do you cover the hot chocolate pie filling with plastic wrap?
Covering your chocolate mousse pie before you put it in the refrigerator. This keeps the air away from it, and prevents a thick skin from forming on top. You want your pie filling to be super creamy, not chunky!
What makes the chocolate pie filling thicken?
The thickener is corn starch that’s been well blended with sugar. That’s why it’s so important to keep stirring the pie filling while it is cooking on the stove – the thickened mixture burns easily!
Why do some recipes for chocolate pie use eggs?
There are many pudding pie-filling recipes that use eggs, but I think you’ll prefer this one, as it still holds its shape well.
What other kinds of pie crust could I use?
We really love our shortcrust pastry pie crust that’s made with half butter and half lard.
If you are short on time, you could buy a frozen pie shell and pre-bake it – just be sure to follow the instructions for blind baking a pie crust.
Even a Graham Cracker Crust that’s pre-made is a delicious base for this yummy chocolate pie!
I’ve never baked before – Is this an easy recipe?
It really is! We love easy recipes, and try to stick to the classics, and recipes that use ingredients that are usually in your kitchen cupboard, or at your favorite grocery store.
My goal is always to give you delicious recipes, that are easy to make and that your family and friends will love.
I’ve even got a Baker’s Pantry Guide that’ll show you what to keep stocked!
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
As a child, I loved chocolate pudding. Mom would make the cooked version of jello chocolate pudding on the stove with lots of milk.
She would pour it into these cute little glass dishes and then put them in the fridge. A thick skin would develop on top of the pudding as it chilled – we just thought this was the best part!
As kids, my brother and sister, and I knew we could always look forward to a chocolate pie at any special family gathering.
This was usually Easter, Christmas, and sometimes Thanksgiving. But Easter and Christmas holidays were a given.
And if we were really, really lucky, a delicious chocolate pudding pie would show up just because – Grandma knew how much her grandchildren loved this pie!
So here it is, grandma’s chocolate pie. So make this family recipe a part of your family’s story!
You might also like…
This chocolate mouse pie is very similar to cream pies, such as coconut cream pies or ones that use lemon pie filling.
We’ve also got the perfect Chocolate Pie Recipe for those with a real chocolate craving.
We’ve got lots more no-bake recipes that are family classics. Check out these:
- Apple Pie Lasagna
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- No Bake Grasshopper Pie
- How to Enjoy Hygge All Year Long
- Delicious and Easy Cherry Pie Recipe
We also have a great collection of articles about Hygge, the Danish concept of happiness.
Could this be the best chocolate pie recipe? Well, I can guarantee that your friends and family will rave about the flavor and want seconds – so you might want to make two pies! Just double the recipe 🙂
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community! We’re all about sharing easy-to-make vintage recipes that remind us of the ones our moms and grandmas used to make.
If you haven’t already, you can sign up for my weekly email newsletter using this link. It’s absolutely free, and you’ll never miss out on any of my new recipes.
See you soon!
If you’ve made this delicious Chocolate Pie, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Be sure to give us a 5-star rating!
This old fashioned homemade chocolate pie recipe is one of my Grandma's and it's a family favourite! A creamy pudding pie filling, topped with mile high whipped cream, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Chocolate Pie Filling
- 1 9" pie shell, pre-baked
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups whole milk, 3% milk fat
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, semi sweetened
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups whipping cream, 35% milk fat
- 2 tbsps powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan mix sugar. cornstarch, cocoa powder.
- Gradually add milk and stir until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,until boiling, and it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Immediately Stir in butter and vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.
- Cool slightly, then pour mixture into pastry shell.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap so that the wrap seals the pie.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, beat your whipping cream, powdered sugar & vanilla extract and spread on top of pie. Sprinkle with funfetti or chocolate shavings - or both!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.