If you are looking for a decadent dessert with a creamy texture that is no bake, super easy and the recipe comes right from the kitchens of Italy?
It’s right here. A delicious no-bake cannoli.
The creamy filling is a sweet combination of mini chocolate chips, a little bit of orange zest, ricotta cheese, and mascarpone cheese.
When it’s summer, and it’s just too hot to bake pies, you can get out your small food processor and whip up this sweet pie.
The cannoli lovers in your family will say Thank You!
How do crushed waffle cones, finely chopped pecans, and unmelted butter sound? Now I guess I should say almost no-bake, because we do need to bake this yummy pie crust for about 10 minutes to give it a crunchy sweetness that goes perfectly with the cannoli pie filling.
Draining the ricotta cheese overnight is the only prep you need to do ahead of time! So let’s get started ok?
- Waffle cones
- Unsalted pecans
- Confectioner’s sugar (powdered or icing sugar)
- Vanilla extract
- Orange zest
- Ricotta cheese
- Mascarpone cheese
- Unsalted butter
- Ground cinnamon
- Mini dark chocolate chips
How to drain ricotta cheese overnight
Drain the ricotta by placing it in a small sieve or strainer that has been lined with two layers of cheesecloth, and rest it over a small bowl that will catch the liquid.
Place a layer of cheesecloth over top of the ricotta, and put something heavy on top – like a big can of peaches. This will help push the ricotta cheese down into the cheesecloth while it drains overnight.
Then carefully remove the ricotta (still in the cheesecloth) and squeeze it (over the bowl or sink) to make sure all of the liquid is gone.
Set the ricotta cheese aside while you make your pie crust.
How to make the best No-Bake Cannoli Pie Recipe
Step 1: Make the pie crust
Make the pie crust by crushing the waffle cones and pecans (or bowls) in a small food processor. until you have a coarse mixture
Mix the waffle cone crumbs and pecans In a medium bowl with the sugar and salt, and then add the melted butter. This is your pie crust mixture.
Spray your fave pie plate with Pam Baking Spray, and then press the pie crust mixture into the pie plate,
Bake the pie crust at 350F until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Let the crust cool while you mix up the cannoli pie filling.
Step 2: Make the pie filling
Make sure you drain the ricotta cheese well. (See the Above Tips for how to do this)
Beat the ricotta cheese, mascarpone, and powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well blended. Mix in vanilla, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt.
Stir in mini chocolate chips by hand.
Step 3: Add the filling to the pie crust
Evenly fill your pie crust with the pie filling, using a spatula or a large spoon. Be sure to spread it around and smooth the top.
Put your cannoli pie in the refrigerator for about 4 to 5 hours (overnight is best if you can)
- Ricotta cheese is very wet, so be sure to strain it overnight through a cheesecloth. See the process shots, and make sure you squeeze out all of the liquid before adding it to the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Bring the ricotta cheese and mascarpone cheese to room temperature before you mix.
- Don’t have a small food processor? Break up the waffle cones and put them into a zippered freezer bag and close. Then roll over the bag with a rolling pin until you get the desired result.
What is cannoli pie made of?
Cannoli pie includes ricotta and mascarpone cheeses, confectioner’s sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, and mini chocolate chips, all on top of a great, crunchy pie crust!
What does cannoli pie taste like?
Just like classic cannoli! The pie tastes just like cannoli cream and the smooth filling with a hint of cinnamon is lightened with the orange zest and chocolate.
How far ahead can I make a cannoli pie?
You can make your cannoli pie the day before if you wish. It needs to be refrigerated for at least four hours or overnight if you can. It keeps about 3 days in the refrigerator.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CANNOLI PIE?
Well a great cup of coffee to start.
It’s such a rich dessert, it really stands on it’s own. Maybe some fresh berries?
You can substitute the ricotta cheese for regular cream cheese, and avoid the step of straining the liquid from the ricotta. Just know that a good cannoli always includes ricotta!
Use graham cracker crumbs to make your pie crust instead of waffle cones. Just press graham cracker mixture into a pie dish the same way.
Swap out the pecans in the waffle cone crust for pistachios!
Decorate the top of your cannoli pie with whipped cream and maraschino cherries and/or crushed pecans, cannoli shells or pistachios.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
I made this exact recipe recently when my sister Cathy and her husband Howard came to visit. Even though we only live a few hours apart, it had been over two years since we had been able to see each other – other than video chat!
Needless to say there were hugs, laughs and it was wonderful. We all love Italy, both families have traveled there and enjoyed the many delicious desserts that are made in that wonderful country.
Like my Sweet Ricotta Pie!
Our reunion called for a special dessert, and I really want to share it with you now.
This is the best cannoli pie recipe, and I know it will become your favorite too!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find vintage recipes like Mom and Grandma used to make, but that are so easy!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
See you soon!
If you have made this delicious no bake pie, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
More Dessert Recipes!
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- Candy Cane Pie
- Deliciously Easy Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- Sour Cherry Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe Roundup | It’s Pumpkin Pie Spice Season!
Hey Rockstar Baker! Show your superpowers!
No-Bake Cannoli Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups waffle cone or bowl crumbs (about 8-10 waffle cones) see Tips and Variations
- ¼ cups crushed unsalted pecans
- 1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (1/3) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese drained
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- DRAIN THE RICOTTA
- About 12 hours before you start the recipe (overnight if possible) use the steps noted above to drain the ricotta cheese:
- Drain the ricotta by placing it in a small sieve or strainer that has been lined with two layers of cheesecloth, and rest it over a small bowl that will catch the liquid.
- Place a layer of cheesecloth over the top of the ricotta, and put something heavy on top - like a big can of peaches. This will help push the ricotta cheese down into the cheesecloth while it drains overnight.
- Then carefully remove the ricotta (still in the cheesecloth) and squeeze it (over the bowl or sink) to make sure all of the liquid is gone.
- Set the ricotta cheese aside while you make your pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crush the waffle cones (or bowls) in a small food processor. Pulsed until you have a fine mixture
- Then crush the pecans nuts the same way.
- Mix the waffle cone crumbs and pecans In a medium bowl with the sugar and salt, and then add the melted butter. Mix well to combine. This is your pie crust mixture.
- Spray your fave pie plate with Pam Baking Spray and then press the pie crust mixture into the pie plate, be sure to cover the bottom and the sides - using your fingers or the back of a spoon to really press it in.
- Bake the pie crust at 350F until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let the crust cool while you mix up the cannoli pie filling.
- PIE FILLING:
- Make sure you drain the ricotta cheese well. (See Tips for how to do this)
- Beat the ricotta cheese, mascarpone, and powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well blended. Mix in vanilla, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips by hand.
- Evenly fill your pie crust with the pie filling, using a spatula or a large spoon. Be sure to spread it around and smooth the top.
- Put your cannoli pie in the refrigerator for about 4 to 5 hours (overnight is best if you can)
- Decorate the top using whipped cream, a sprinkle of chocolate chips, maraschino cherries and pistachios.
- Serve and enjoy! Everyone will love this amazing pie - right from Italy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 606Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 10g
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.