Chocolate Cream Cheese Monkey Bread is a decadent pleasure that is so easy to make! Your friends and family will go WOW with this tasty southern sweet recipe that includes chocolate chips and biscuits stuffed with cream cheese.
One of my favorite things to organize is Brunch for family and friends. But my all time fave thing to do is take a scratch recipe that would include much time, a dough hook, and waiting for the dough to rise, into this delightful easy recipe that you can create your own variations. Sound good?
Let’s get started!
Ingredients to make this Chocolate Cream Cheese Monkey Bread Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Confectioners sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Refrigerated biscuit dough (2 cans of 8 each)
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Cream cheese
How to make the best Chocolate Cream Cheese Monkey Bread
Preheat your oven to 350F/220C.
Slice the Biscuits. Using a sharp knife to slice 10 biscuits from each roll, and lay them all out on a cookie sheet or sheet of parchment paper.
Cut the cream cheese into 20 even cubes and then place one cube on top of each piece of dough.
Wrap the dough balls around the cream cheese and crimp the sides.
Mix the cinnamon sugar.
Roll each stuffed dough ball in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Make one layer of cream cheese stuffed bread dough in the bottom of your baking pan.
Sprinkle half of the chocolate chips and add another layer of the dough balls, repeating this step until the dough balls are finished and the pan is full.
Sprinkle any remaining chocolate chips and sugar-cinnamon mixture.
In a second small bowl, mix brown sugar and melted butter; pour the brown sugar and butter mixture over everything.
Bake until the top of the chocolate monkey bread is golden brown.
Confectioners Sugar Glaze
While the monkey bread is cooling, whip up a batch of confectioner’s sugar glaze. You can check my blueberry coffee cake for glaze instructions.
Expert tip: Get all of your ingredients out first, including bowls and measuring cups. Prepping this way makes the whole baking process so much more enjoyable when you don’t have to hunt for things!
Also, use baking spray to grease your baking pans well. Don’t forget to follow the recipe exactly!
What is monkey bread sauce made of?
Melted butter and brown sugar are mixed to create the delicious ‘sauce’ that is like a caramel glaze.
Why do they call it monkey bread?
The funny name comes from how you eat it. By picking it apart with your hands. Some recipes are called pull apart bread.
What pans can you use for monkey bread?
You can use a Bundt Pan, Angel Food Cake Pan (aka Tube Pan) even a rectangle 8 X 12 or 9 X 13. Typically Bundt or Tube pans are used.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE MONKEY BREAD
This is a good brunch recipe and is a perfect addition to your next family brunch! It’s great as an addition to fresh fruit, a yummy quiche, and even to finish off a grand slam breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs. It has the texture and sweetness of freshly baked cinnamon rolls – without all the fuss of course!
You could leave the chocolate chips out and just make it as an original cream cheese stuffed monkey bread. Or, stuff the biscuit dough with Nutella instead of cream cheese!
Another idea is to combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips for a creamy caramel flavor.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
I’ve wanted to learn how to make monkey bread for a long time, but just didn’t know how! My girlfriend Sue told me she had made this recipe and it was so easy, I just had to try it. I love to get recipe tips and ideas from friends and family.
This is the best chocolate cream cheese monkey bread recipe and I know it will become your favorite too!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find easy dessert recipes that will make everyone feel cozy. Especially you!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
Bye for now!
If you have made this delicious Chocolate Cream Cheese Monkey Bread Recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Monkey Bread Recipe
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 2 cans (8 oz) refrigerated biscuits or crescent rolls (I used crescent rolls for this recipe)
- 1¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Prepared a greased Bundt pan with shortening or non stick cooking spray. You can use either a an 8 x 12 rectangle or a 12 cup bundt pan, even a tube pan will work!
- Even if the pan is ‘non-stick’ I still spray it. (I love PAM for Baking - see below)
- In a small bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Unroll each can of dough onto a floured surface. I like to use parchment paper on my counter and lightly dust it with flour.
- And use a sharp knife to slice 10 biscuits from each roll.
- Cut the room temperature cream cheese into 20 even cubes and then place one cube on top of each piece of dough.
- Wrap the dough around the cube of cream cheese and crimp the sides.
- Roll each piece of stuff dough in the small bowl of granulated white sugar and cinnamon
- Make one layer of cream cheese stuffed bread dough in the bottom of your baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the chocolate chips
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and add another layer of the dough balls, repeating this step until the dough balls are finished and the pan is full.
- Sprinkle any remaining chocolate chips and sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and a stick of butter that has been melted in a microwave safe bowl. This will have a caramel consistency.
- Pour the warm caramel mixture over everything.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes (depending on your oven) or until the top of the chocolate monkey bread is golden brown.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then you can loosen the edges of the monkey bread by running a knife carefully around the edges.
- While the monkey bread is cooling, whip up a batch of confectioner’s sugar glaze. Link to blueberry coffee cake for glaze instructions.
- Place your favorite (heat proof) serving plate over pan and then turn the plate and cake pan over carefully.
- Remove the pan when cool, and pour the confectioner’s sugar glaze over all and serve - if you can wait that long!
- Cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 2g
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.