Get ready for a fun and delicious treat! Make your own homemade S’mores Rice Krispie Treats with this simple recipe.
With just about thirty minutes of prep time and only four simple ingredients, you can whip up these gooey, chocolatey treats in no time. And the best part? Not only are they deliciously sweet, but they’re great to stash away in lunch boxes or have on hand after school as a tasty snack or dessert. Or even bake sales!
So get out your gooey marshmallows, rice krispies cereal, graham crackers, and melted chocolate chips – it’s time to make some amazing S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe!
Ingredients to make this S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Before starting, head to the grocery store and get all the ingredients you need. You’ll also want a rubber spatula, a small microwave-safe bowl, a wooden spoon, and parchment paper!
- Crushed graham crackers
- Rice cereal
- Mini marshmallows
- Large marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Hershey bar
How to make the best S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
Here are 12 simple steps to make the classic Rice Krispie Treats.
1. Prepare the ingredients including crushed graham crackers, rice cereal, marshmallows (mini and large size), butter, chocolate chips, and Hershey bar.
2. Prepare crushed golden grahams and rice cereal in separate bowls.
3. Mix crushed graham cracker crumbs and rice cereal evenly.
4. Spread half of the mini marshmallows onto the baking sheet and broil for a minute or two.
5. In the large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Then, add the large marshmallows in melted butter, and stir until completely smooth and melted. Pour the melted marshmallows onto the rice krispie cereal mixture, and scrape the toasted marshmallows in too. Mix them well.
6. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the greased prepared pan.
7. Spread it in an even layer at the bottom of the pan.
8. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the layer.
9. Place them in the warm oven for 20 seconds to melt the chocolate chips. Spread them evenly.
10. Scatter the remaining marshmallows on top of the chocolate chunks.
11. Broil it until it is lightly toasted.
12. Arrange the Hershey bars on top of the smores, and scatter the remaining crushed graham crackers.
The main ingredient of S’mores Rice Krispies Treats is chocolate, so make sure to choose the best quality chocolate.
The marshmallows must be melted as a part of the process, but they will taste better after they have been baked just long enough to get an appealing burnt golden color. You can also add vanilla extract for more flavor. Nonstick spray or softened unsalted butter would be great for greasing.
To make the S’mores Rice Krispie Treats soft and spongy, you should spread the layers evenly and avoid pressing them down too firmly. This recipe will taste even better when served cooled and topped with a layer of nuts.
What to serve with S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats can be served with a variety of accompaniments to make a complete dessert experience.
Some great ideas include serving the treats with hot chocolate or cold milk, adding some scoops of ice cream in between two layers of the treats, adding a topping like melted peanut butter or marshmallow fluff, and decorating them with crushed graham crackers.
Other options include dipping them in melted white chocolate chips or creating mini s’mores by cutting out small circles from the treat and topping them with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
For a twist on the classic recipe, try adding some of these variations:
- Dip cooled pieces into melted chocolate for an even richer dessert.
- Substitute white milk chocolate chips for traditional chocolate. You can try semi-sweet chocolate chips too!
- Experiment with different flavors like peanut butter.
- Try cocoa Krispies.
- Top your sweet treat with festive holiday decorations like red and green M&M’s or edible glitter for an extra special touch.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
I was inspired to create this S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe after discovering the classic gooey treat. After tasting the delicious combination of marshmallow and chocolate sandwiched between two crispy graham crackers, I knew I wanted to recreate that flavor in a different form.
By using Rice Krispies as the base and adding melted marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham cracker pieces, I created a unique twist on an old favorite. The result is a crunchy and gooey dessert that will have your friends asking for seconds!
Is it ok to use old marshmallows for the S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe?
I don’t recommend it. Old marshmallows are likely to be dry and will not melt properly, resulting in a grainy texture or burnt taste.
What can I use instead of marshmallows in S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe?
An alternative to marshmallows in S’mores Rice Krispie Treats is white chocolate chips. They work as a great substitute for marshmallows and provide a delicious, creamy texture that compliments the crunchy cereal and graham crackers.
Can I make S’mores Rice Krispie Treats the night before?
Yes, you can make S’mores Rice Krispie Treats the night before. You will need to allow them to cool and set overnight before cutting them into bars or serving.
Can I bake Rice Krispie treats in a toaster oven?
No, you shouldn’t bake Rice Krispie Treats in a toaster oven. This is because the toaster oven may become too hot and burn the treats, or they may cook unevenly, resulting in an unsatisfactory outcome.
How should I store my S’mores Rice Krispie Treats?
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are best stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at a room temperature. You can also keep them in the fridge to lengthen their shelf life. Ensure that any containers used for storage are completely clean and dry before adding your treats to avoid mold.
Can I freeze S’mores Rice Krispie Treats?
Yes, you can freeze S’mores Rice Krispie Treats. To do so, let the treats cool completely and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
What is the best way to cut S’mores Rice Krispie Treats?
The best way to cut S’mores Rice Krispie Treats is to first chill them for about 4 hours. After chilling, use a sharp knife that has been lightly greased, making sure you apply even pressure when slicing through. This will help reduce sticking and make it easier to get even slices.
Are S’mores Rice Krispie Treats gluten-free?
The classic S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are not gluten-free due to their containing wheat cereal, graham crackers, and marshmallows which typically have some form of wheat in them.
Are S’mores Rice Krispie Treats vegetarian?
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are generally considered vegetarian due to the fact that they do not contain any animal products. All of the ingredients in S’mores Rice Krispie Treats, such as marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate chips, and rice crisps cereal, can be classified as vegetarian items.
Do you love chocolate recipes? Here are some more of my favorites that you’ll love!
- S’mores Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake!
- S’mores Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake!
- Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips!
- Brick Street Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Brownie Mix Cookies With Cream Cheese
The S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe is a great summertime dessert for any occasion. With the combination of crunchy cereal, chocolate, and marshmallow in every bite, you can’t go wrong with this delicious treat.
Don’t forget to include the graham crackers for added crunch and nuttiness! You can get creative with this recipe by using other flavors of chips or adding additional ingredients such as peanut butter or nuts.
Have fun creating these treats to share with family and friends this summer!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find easy dessert recipes that will make everyone feel cozy. Especially you!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
Bye for now!
If you have made this delicious S’mores Rice Krispie Treats Recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
Make your own homemade S'mores Rice Krispie Treats with this simple recipe.
- 1 ¾ cup broken/lightly crushed graham crackers – 9 full crackers
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces large marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 Hershey bar broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to broil. Grease a 9x13 baking dish, line a baking sheet with foil, and grease the foil.
- Place the rice cereal and all but ¼ cup (if you can, try to save the larger broken pieces to decorate the top) of the crushed graham crackers. Mix it together well.
- Spread half of the mini marshmallows onto the baking sheet and broil for a minute or two. You want the marshmallows to look lightly toasted but not burned. They will burn easily, so keep an eye on them. Set aside. You can turn off the oven for a few minutes while you move on to the next step.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Then, add in the large marshmallows and stir until completely smooth and melted.
- Pour the melted marshmallows onto the rice krispies, and scrape the toasted marshmallows in too. Mix well until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spread the marshmallow mixture into the greased 9x13 pan in an even layer. Don’t press too hard, or you will have dense bars, and they won’t be as soft and chewy. You may find a greased spatula really helpful for this.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the bars and place them in the warm oven to melt the chocolate chips. It should only take 20 seconds or so, do it longer if needed. Use the spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the melted chocolate chips into an even layer.
- Turn the broiler back on.
- Scatter the remaining mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate and broil for a minute, and then check k it every 20-30 seconds after a minute until it is lightly toasted. You may also want to rotate the pan halfway through to make sure it browns evenly.
- Once the marshmallows are toasted, arrange the Hershey bars on top of the smores, and scatter the remaining crushed graham crackers.
- Allow cooling completely before cutting into the bars. A greased knife will make cutting the bars much easier.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.