Want to enjoy popular bakery items from fast food restaurants without the cost? I hear you! What about a copycat recipe?
This copycat Panera bread chocolate chip muffie recipe is just one of many copycat recipes on Pie Lady Bakes and I know you are going to love it!
Freshly baked in your own kitchen, this easy to bake yummy muffin top is perfect with your favorite cup of coffee or tea. Or add fresh strawberries to make your chocolate chip muffin tops part of a bigger, sweeter dessert!
The serving size is similar to a medium size muffin but you can make them smaller or bigger!
So keep reading and get ready to bake one of the best ever muffin top recipes.
Recipe at a glance…
Ingredients: Box brownie mix, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, eggs, vegetable oil, water
Time: Pre time: 10 min; Bake Time 30 – 35 min;
Equipment: mixing bowls, electric mixer, measuring spoons & cups, 8″ square baking pan
Ingredients to add to your Shopping List
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- large egg
- vanilla bean paste vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- table salt
- baking powder
- baking soda
- Milk (dairy or non-dairy)*
- sour cream*
- mini semisweet chocolate chips
How to make the best Copycat Panera Muffies
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Use parchment paper or silicone baking mats to line a cookie sheet (baking sheet) (You will do this twice)
I like to use melted unsalted butter instead of oil for this recipe.
An electric mixer saves time when mixing the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Don’t worry if you can’t find vanilla bean paste – pure vanilla extract works just as well.
Mix the dry ingredients separately in a medium bowl and then add to the wet ingredients (sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla)
Don’t overmix the batter. Too much mixing results in a dry, tough muffin top!
Use any kind of dairy or nondairy milk! I used almond milk for this recipe. And you can also use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
The last step is to add the mini chocolate chips and mix them in gently. You can also use regular-sized semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chilling the batter is an important step. It allows the butter to cool. Check out our recipe for McDonalds chocolate chip cookies to see what I mean.
Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to scoop the batter onto the lined baking sheets.
Space the muffies 2 – 3 inches between the muffies as they will spread while baking.
Bake until the top of the muffins are golden. I found that 15 minutes exactly was the right time for my chocolate chip muffies, but your oven might need less or more. Start with 10 minutes and then add time if needed.
Cool the first batch of muffin tops on a cookie rack and pop the next tray into the oven!
How to store
Store in an airtight container – if they last that long!
- Double the recipe. Honestly, if you are taking the same to bake these scrumptious muffin tops, just do it. You can freeze them to enjoy in the weeks to come.
- Follow the recipe exactly.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter. It’s tempting to just throw all the ingredients together in one bowl and mix away with your electric or stand mixer. But please don’t.
What is a chocolate chip muffie?
Chocolate Chip Muffies are actually the muffin top! They almost look like Muffin Top Cookies but definitely have the texture and flavor of freshly baked muffins.
How much batter do you put in a muffin top pan?
We used baking sheets for this recipe, however, if you treat yourself to a muffin top pan, about 2 tablespoons should do it. The batter will spread while it bakes.
How many calories are in Panera Bread chocolate chip muffie?
See our nutrition facts below in the recipe card! If you need to restrict your calories or sugar intake, try using a sugar substitute as we did with our homemade blueberry muffins.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MUFFIN TOPS
You can eat your copycat Panera chocolate chip muffies plain or enjoy them as part of bigger dessert!
Chocolate sauce is always a good choice.
Some folks like to spread jams, jellies, and even peanut butter on their freshly baked muffin tops. It’s your party, right?
Chocolate Chip Muffie Strawberry Sundae?
Place the muffin tops in a dish, and top with strawberry sauce, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce! Oh my! You can also use my homemade sundae sauces, too!
You can make the muffies larger – use a bigger cookie scoop, or place two cookie scoops for each muffin top. They even make special muffin top pan! Who knew?
Want to make a pumpkin muffie like the Panera pumpkin muffins? Check out our easy pumpkin muffin recipe and do it!
You can substitute brown sugar for white sugar as they are interchangeable. Brown sugar may make your muffie lighter and more moister than using white sugar.
Want to add some whole grains and use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour? No problem. Your muffin top will still have lots of great flavors but a denser texture and possibly taste. Try using half whole wheat and half all purpose flour first.
That’s the fun of baking! Trying out different combinations of ingredients.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
We’re on a real chocolate chip craze right now. And I’ve been seeing lots of great sales on baking ingredients at our local grocery store – Valumart, here in Lindsay, Ontario.
This is the best Panera Copycat Chocolate Chip Muffie Recipe and I know it will become your favorite Panera bread muffie too!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find vintage recipes like Mom and Grandma used to make, but that is so easy!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
See you soon!
If you have made this delicious chocolate chip muffie recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below, and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
Panera Chocolate Chip Muffie Recipe (Copycat)
Panera Chocolate Chip Muffie Recipe
An easy to bake yummy version of the famous Panera Bread Chocolate Chip Muffie (or Muffin Top)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/3 Milk (dairy or non-dairy)*
- 2 tbsp sour cream*
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats if you have them
- Measure the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at high speed until creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and continue to mix. These are your wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add in the dry ingredients - all purpose flour, salt, ground cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda,
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients by hand - use a large wooden spoon or spatula, but be careful not to overmix.
- Mix in the milk and sour cream, until they are incorporated into the muffin batter
- The last step is to add the mini chocolate chips and mix in gently.
- Chill the batter for 20 to 25 minutes in the refrigerator.( I put the batter back into the refrigerator during baking)
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to scoop the batter onto the sheets.
- Keep about 2 - 3 inches between the muffies as they will spread while baking.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes until golden. I found that 15 minutes exactly was the right time for my chocolate chip muffies, but your oven might need less or more. Start with 10 minutes and then add time if needed.
- Place the muffin tops on a cookie rack to cool, and pop the next tray into the oven!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Hey Rockstar Baker! Show your superpowers!
Be sure to check out our other muffin recipes.
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.
Friday 28th of October 2022
Also, when do you add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture? And does the milk/sour cream go into dry mixture or into butter mixture?
Monday 12th of December 2022
Hi Beth - all of the steps are set out for you. You will see that you add the wet ingredients to the dry, and then add the milk to the muffin batter. Hope that helps.
Friday 28th of October 2022
Hi the body of the recipe mentions "add salt" but salt is not listed as an ingredient. Can you clarify? Thanks
Monday 12th of December 2022
Hi Beth - salt is always optional for me which is probably why it was left out. Feel free to add.
Tuesday 13th of September 2022
There are no measurements on the ingredients. ???
Sunday 5th of February 2023
@Judy Kahansky, I don’t see a measurement for baking soda. Is it tsp, tbsp or cup?
Monday 26th of September 2022
Oh my gosh Melody - thanks so much for letting me know! Recipe card has been updated. :)
Sunday 28th of August 2022
i dont see the oven temperature. is it 350?
Monday 26th of September 2022
Hi Tracy Oven temp is 350F thanks for asking!