Have you been seeing lots of pound cake recipes recently? A delicious, easy to make classic butter pound cake that is baked in either a bundt pan, tube pan or loaf pan?
Maybe a great recipe for a decadent vanilla pound cake that mixes up in one bowl, feeds a crowd and has moist crumbs and a rich buttery flavor flavor?
We’re going to bake an old fashioned pound cake recipe. The recipe calls for simple ingredients, I’m sure you have most, if not all of them, in your refrigerator or pantry.
Often served at special occasions like birthdays, anniversary parties or potlucks, a homemade pound cake brings joy to the table every time.
Let’s get started!
- all-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- unsalted butter
- cream cheese
- vanilla extract
- Fresh berries and confectioner’s sugar to dress up your cake
How to make the best Southern Old Fashioned Pound Cake
Trust me when I say that making moist pound cake isn’t hard to do!
Do not preheat the oven. This recipe calls for a cold oven.
Step 1 – Prepare the cake pan
Prepare your bundt cake pan or tube pan. I’ve used a tube pan (angel food pan) for this recipe.
Step 2 – Mix the butter and sugar
Start with the butter and sugar and beat well at medium speed
Step 3 – Add the other ingredients
Mix in the eggs, cream cheese and vanilla
Step 4 – Mix in the flour
Gradually mix in the all purpose flour and pinch of salt (dry ingredients).
Step 5 – Pour the cake batter into the pan
Once the pound cake batter is completely mixed, pour it into the cake pan and spread it around evenly, smoothing the top.
Step 6 – Bake
For best results pop it into the cold oven at bake at the time and temperature listed in the recipe card below.
Once the cake has cooled, invert the pan onto a wire rack.
How to store pound cake
Wrap your cake in plastic wrap or store the cake in an airtight container for about 3 to 5 days. (if it lasts that long!)
- Spray the inside of your baking pan with Pam Baking Spray. I know a popular method is to grease the pan and dust it with flour. I’ve tried both and the spray is really the way to go here.
- Follow the instructions exactly, and yes we really do mean start with a cold oven. You can see that this classic pound cake recipe does not include baking powder or baking soda.
- Measure ingredients carefully and use really fresh ingredients (check the expiration dates!)
- Bring your eggs, cream cheese and butter to room temperature
- Measure the flour by spooning it into your measuring cup. If you pour it in directly from the bag or a container, it will result in too much flour.
- Allow yourself enough time. Baking cakes is a craft that takes time to prep, time to mix and time to bake. Kinda like slow food.
- You can use a regular sized bundt pan or a tube pan. Even if your pan in non-stick, be sure to prepare it. (Tip # 1)
- If you have a stand mixer, go ahead and use it. I usually use my electric hand mixer, you just need to be careful, since it is a lot of cake batter.
What is the secret to a good pound cake?
We think using quality ingredients, proper mixing and starting with a cold oven result in an amazing pound cake. Your cake will be springy and have a tender crumb (the crumbs will stick together when you pinch them)
How do you make pound cake moist?
It’s the addition of either buttermilk, cream cheese, or sour cream. Our recipe uses cream cheese for a super moist, and really rich flavor.
What flour is best for pound cake?
Plain all purpose flour is best. We use unbleached flour
What makes a pound cake more dense?
The pound cake should be a tad bit dense, but not over the top.
If it’s heavy and dry, there is a big possibility that it was mixed too much.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS CLASSIC POUND CAKE RECIPE
We like our pound cake naked. But to each their own!
You could serve it with fresh berries piled up in the center of the cake, whipped cream, any type of sundae sauce, maple syrup, or any type of fresh fruit!
As I mentioned below, we’ve made this recipe using a peach cobbler theme and adding fresh strawberries another time.
Chocolate chips come to mind, a lemon pound cake sounds divine!
I’m even thinking about a dark chocolate pound cake – something really decadent.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
Well you can see we have a few other amazing pound cake recipes at Pie Lady Bakes. Our Chocolate Buttermillk Pound Cake started it all. I experimented with a Peach Cobbler Pound Cake and you all love it so much! Here is a happy reader’s comment:
The Peach Cobbler Pound Cake was quickly followed by our Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake. Our lemon loaf pound cake (a Starbucks copycat recipe) is one of our lemon cake mix recipes and it is sublime.
I was originally inspired to expand my homemade pound cake recipes with an original recipe on a TV show, Home Town!
This is the best old fashioned pound cake recipe and I know it will become your favorite too!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find vintage recipes like Mom and Grandma used to make, but that are so easy!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
See you soon!
If you have made this delicious traditional pound cake recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
More Desserts and Sweets
- 35 Thanksgiving Desserts from the Best Bloggers!
- How to Use Frozen Pie Crust: A Step-by-Step Guide
- The Best Crumbl Snickerdoodle Cupcake Cookie
- How to Keep Pie Crust from Sticking to a Pan: Tips and Tricks
- Can you make pie crust ahead of time?
How to Make Old Fashioned Pound Cake
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 sticks of butter
- 8 oz. of cream cheese
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Using a stand mixer, beat the ingredients together well.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Place it into a cold oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees for an hour and a half.
- Let the cake cool and then invert the pan on your favorite cake plate.
- Once it's cool, carefully remove the pan and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 613Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 51gProtein: 8g
Want more bundt cakes?
I’ll be whipping up some new creations coming up very soon! Stay tuned!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.