What the heck is this ‘HYGGE’ that everyone is talking about and why should you care?
Well you might say it’s how to live mindfully, simply and to savour the happiness that this way of life brings.
If you are searching for some tranquility, a sense of calmness to the hectic pace of your everyday life, then I hope you will stick around.
We’ve got some great ideas to help you embrace Hygge and be cozy.
This post contains affiliate links that allow me to earn a commission at no cost to you.
You can read more in our Privacy & Disclosure Policy . Originally published August 14, 2018 and updated January 21, 2020.
Now before you click away because you think this is one more “List” post that will just give you a long checklist of more things to fit into your already busy life, hang on ok?
The Danes certainly got it right, when they embrace living Hygge! In Denmark, bicycles are considered hygge, you can find cafes with Laundromats in them. I love this video from Visit Denmark!
This is not a ‘check the box’ exercise. I know you have way too many of those going on, either at work, or at home.
Finish the project plan – Check.
Get to the gym three times a week – Check.
Fit in quality time with your sweetie – Check, Check.
Hygge is about feelings
In The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living (The Happiness Institute Series), Meik Wiking says that
“hygge is about an atmosphere and the experience it is not about things. It is about being with the people we love. A feeling we are safe that we are shielded from the world…to be able to let our guard down.”
So I think if you stay with me, read a little further, watch the video, you will learn so much about hygge. And even better, you will probably realize that you are practicing hygge and don’t even know it.
Like everything in life, embracing hygge or finding time for more happiness is a journey.
Wiking talks about the Five Dimensions of Hygge:
- The Taste of Hygge
- The Sound of Hygge
- Smells Like Hygge
- Feels Like Hygge
- Looks Like Hygge
Wiking says that hygge is really all about feelings, and says that “feels like Hygge” is really the Sixth Sense of Hygge. So while we can talk about candles, cozy shawls and specialty teas, these will help us reach that “sixth sense”. Are you with me? Good.
If you are ready to jump in, feet first then good for you! I really recommend this awesome Hygge Box to get your own cozy happiness delivered every month to your door. It’s like your own hygge self care package, and is chock full of goodies, at a reasonable price too! First time subscribers to Cratejoy get huge discounts.
For me too. I’m learning too, as I go. So thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you really enjoy this post.
Be sure to check out our articles on how to survive winter with hygge, how to live hygge in spring, and the great fun you can have with summer hygge! This post was originally published on March 3, 2018 and updated on August 14, 2018.
So again you may ask, what the heck is hygge and why you need it? Is it a drink? Some kind of Swedish massage? A fitness routine?
Well, actually no to all of the above.
Erm…. It’s all about getting cozy. You know, cozy? Danish Hygge is….well, there really isn’t a direct translation in English.
Some folks say hygge is pronounced hue-guh not hoo-gah.
HYGGE living Is all about
- how to live a more fulfilling life
- how to live more healthy
- how to live a more simple life
This post is a tutorial on how to be happy and fit hygge into our lives for all seasons.
THIS POST ABOUT HYGGE LIFE INCLUDES:
- A basic background of what it means to live hygge– a Hygge 101 if you like.
- You will read about many examples of hygge and why you probably already live hygge in your own life right now!
- Some great books, resources, and home décor items to help you get your hygge on.
- A great list of 30 Simple Ways for you to live and feel the joy of hygge throughout the seasons – yep, all year long.
- Several products, hand chosen just for you, that may bring joy, cozy-ness and happiness to your life. You can click on any link that is a bold pink and a new tab will open for you to check it out.
OK? Then let’s get started!
As a complete novice to this philosophy I’ll admit, this is what I think what living hygge is…
Hygge or hyggeligt to me means being in the present moment. With purpose.
It’s like simple living or living simply.
Feeling my dog’s heartbeat when he cuddles on my chest. Not absent mindedly petting him while I’m scrolling through my feed.
Hygge is holding hands with hubby while we watch our favorite team play hockey. (Go Leafs Go). It’s listening to a close friend tell you the same story again, but pretending you are just hearing it for the first time.
Being cozy on a lazy Saturday morning, enjoying a good book, and that second cup of coffee – that’s Hygge
Listening, really listening, without distraction to birdsong in the early hours of the morning while walking the dogs.
Or at night being amazed by the size of the moon.
When we are at the trailer, and it’s summer and the night is full of stars, I get my hygge on by laying back in a lounge chair and looking for the Big Dipper.
And any other dippers I might find along the way. That’s how I live hygge.
What’s the hype about hygge and why should you care?
Hygge is a state of mind. You don’t have to leave town. You don’t even need to leave your apartment!
Hygge is all about light. So light some candles, get cozy with a book, maybe even take a nap! You don’t have to spend a lot of money to live hygge either.
Hygge is enjoying that special place that only you know about. Want to create a special cozy backyard decor?
See our DIY Fairy Lights post!
Hosting a potluck, doing some baking, a cozy décor, and using things because they have value – not being superficial.
Like all of the art on our walls, makes me happy! It looks cluttered, but I couldn’t possibly part with one picture.
I think my blog is very hygge. Tons of food, with discussions on self care, and tips to be better organized. Pie is definitely hygge!
I challenge you not to feel happy when you’re presented with a piece of mouthwatering pie, like this Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie!
Your tummy will be happy with this amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie! It’s got a splash of Grand Marnier in it too just to warm things up a bit.
While you typically see ‘living hygge’ is very popular around Christmas time and during the winter, hygge is all around us no matter what time of year it is. We just need to
- stop what we’re doing
- unplug from our devices
- be mindful
I think I’ve been searching for hygge for my whole life, but didn’t know it.
I have researched for many years, read so many books about living simply, mindfulness, gratitude, living fully, but only just recently found my coziness.
Like reading a romance novel on the sofa, snuggled under a soft and woolly throw or blanket.
How to hygge
I really encourage you to get the delightful book called “The Little Book of Hygge Danish Secrets to Happy Living”! It’s not only beautiful to look at and to read, it will become your own hygge manifesto of sorts.
I’ve included a link here to my Pie Lady Bakes Shop on Amazon with some of my all-time favorite books, beautiful candles and cozy things to help you get your hygge on:
Hygge is all about getting cozy and it’s not just lighting candles at home it’s about sharing your glow and feeling your happiness, by putting candles in the window!
So while we might like candles in the winter to be all cozy and indoors, in the summertime hygge is having a campfire with your very dearest friends
It’s when the neighbors drop by getting caught up on what’s been happening in your lives, talking about world events.
It’s going back in time and sharing funny stories. These are the things that bring joy and happiness to others, sometimes in a very small way will bring you hygge and that makes sense doesn’t it?
Giving always makes you feel so much better than always taking.
And when we’re at that campfire or potluck, or sitting around the table, I love to bring out one of my favorite recipes, like a freshly baked apple cobbler. I think sweets are completely hygge!
You can trade in your treadmill and get outdoors and commune with nature or take an extra-long walk with the dog – they’ll certainly enjoy it.
Hygge is going for a long walk and seeing the first signs of spring, watching those leaves budding and hearing the birds chirping after a long quiet winter it’s all about the joy of what the change of seasons – whatever that might mean to you – bring into our lives.
In North America it’s all about being hopeful that the warmer and longer days will be here soon. But also knowing that the cooler weather, and longer nights mean it’s time to rest.
Time to Hygge
Ok, so you’re convinced! You’ve gathered up some pillows, a cozy blanket, some reading socks and great books. You are READY! You really want to get some of this HYGGE and get it now! I’m going to get ‘hygge’ on this weekend, and here is why you should too!
30 SIMPLE AND FUN WAYS YOU CAN FEEL THE HAPPINESS OF HYGGE ALL YEAR LONG
Hygge Home and Décor
- Rustic candles in mason jars
- Create a Hygge Living Room with Chunky wool throws and afghans (Take up knitting?)
- Creamy white and neutral pillows piled on your bed to create a hygge sanctuary
- Soft white candle pillars set around the house and in the windows – share the light!
Hygge at work
- It’s pretty hard to cozy up a cubicle, but a soft shawl or sweater can help
- Bring in some favorite photos of family, friends, the dog, and trips you love
- Easy to care for plants like succulents bring some greenery and are very unassuming
- Organize a potluck for your team, celebrate a milestone, or have birthday months
- Make tea time an event every day, use a teapot and tray and include your cube mates with a plate of cookies
- Longer days bring the gloaming, that soft evening glow between day and night
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – a must for Spring!
- Organize family activities, cleaning up the yard, hiking, birdwatching
- Getting cozy, with the sunshine warming up the room, enjoying a cup of pu-erh tea with a great book.
- Visit your local Libraries to enjoy hygge and get caught up on the latest bestsellers
- Have a baking day, solo or with friends and create cozy goodies like rice pudding, apple cobbler, coffee cake, and pie!
- Campfires, toasting marshmallows, sing-alongs
- Potlucks and BBQs to celebrate milestones, national holidays like the Fourth of July or Canada Day
- A hammock underneath a huge shade tree, with a cool drink and a great book
- After working all afternoon doing yard work, a refreshing dip in the pool or lake nearby
- Ice cream cones on a hot day, when it melts so fast you can’t keep up
- Butter tarts that having ooey gooey syrupy centers, running up your arm after the first bite.
- Catch fireflies at night with the kids and put them in jars.
- Light, warmth, and friendship – making life warm and cozy.
- Family Celebrations, like Thanksgiving
- Visiting the local orchards to pick the new crop of apples
- Turning those apples into delicious pies or muffins
- Turn on the lamps in the late afternoon to give your home a cozy glow
- Bright red rain boots make splashing in puddles so much more fun!
- Chunky knit blankets and sweaters. Cozy socks in front of a roaring fire.
- Warm chocolate-y drinks mulled or spiced wine. Homemade cookies, muffins or breads.
It must be said that winter is high season to live hygge in Denmark, especially in December.
Christmas holidays that include get-togethers in homes, local pubs, and cafes, with lots of laughing, warm drinks and sweets.
We’ve put together a delightful collection of hygge gifts for your to share or gift to yourself too!
A particular favorite sweet that the Danes love are Danish Pastries (surprise!)
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
Want more hygge? Be sure to check out our other cozy posts…
- Hygge in Spring
- Have a Happy Summer
- How to Survive Winter
- Hygge Gift Collection
- Creating coziness at work
- Hygge in Autumn
- Great Hygge Books!
If you enjoyed this post, and would like more Hygge Home Decor ideas you may also want to visit FTD by Design, to see their tips on how to Hygge your home. It’s a beautiful website!
So now you’re all set. You have a complete list of 30 ways on how to practice hygge in your life, including recipes, cozy blankets and socks, fun outdoor activities, and lots of ideas to JUST BE.
Have a wonderful HYGGE life.
To help you enjoy your new Hygge lifestyle, and keep organized we created this sweet My Simple Hygge Life Binder that is jam packed with planners, trackers, goal lists, note cards and calendars! You can print it out or use it on your tablet too! Just click the button below ‘tell me more!”