I love to bake and I think that cookie recipes are one thing you can never have too many of right? So today we’re baking soft sugar cookies that also have a chewy center. The recipe makes about 30 cookies so there will be lots for you to enjoy and to freeze for later!
So if you are looking for the best sugar cookie recipe let’s bake together!
Chewy sugar cookies are the best, and my honey asked for them specifically. This is a classic sugar cookie recipe, that you can decorate with royal icing and sprinkles if you wish.
That buttery melt in your mouth goodness is what a perfect sugar cookie is all about and it’s just the easiest recipe too.
Soft cookies are just so good. Do you prefer soft chocolate chip cookies or crispy ones? It really is personal preference. This cookie is soft and crispy on the edges. The best of both worlds!
Our sugar cookie recipe is without vanilla, but we’ve left notes below for you to add it in if you wish. We like the light fresh flavour that you will enjoy with lemon zest added instead. And we add a little lemon juice to the powdered (confectioner’s) sugar icing. Sugar cookies must have sprinkles IMHO!
So why are we baking this sugar cookie recipe without vanilla? Well vanilla flavor can be very strong and it can overpower the sweetness of the butter and sugar. I really like the lemon zest, or you could add almond extract, maybe some nutmeg or cinnamon if you prefer.
That’s the fun part about baking a recipe like this one. You get to add your own flavours and make new recipes. Just like our easy biscotti recipe.
Ingredients you will need for these easy sugar cookies includes:
- Unsalted butter
- Baking soda
- Eggs at room temperature
- Confectioner’s sugar & sprinkles (optional icing)
- Now if you really think you need vanilla extract in your sugar cookies, by all means go ahead. I’ve included the measurements in the recipe card below.
Tips for making this easy cookie recipe without vanilla extract
- Start with the butter and eggs and room temperature.
- Blend the sugar and unsalted butter well using a small hand mixer on low speed. Or if you are feeling strong, you can use a whisk! I also use a stand mixer, whatever you have on hand is fine, as long as the butter and sugar are light and creamy.
- Always use room temperature eggs. They will bind better to the cookie dough and give you an excellent result
- Use a cookie scoop to form the cookie dough balls so that they will be uniform in shape and size. Then flatten them with the bottom of a glass or back of a spoon.
- If you wish to make cutout sugar cookies, roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper or use the DoughEZ rolling mat system. I love to use it for pie crust and cookies! (linked in the recipe card below)
I like to use a cookie scoop to make sure I’m getting the same amount of sugar cookie dough each time. You can also use a regular teaspoon for this.
- Use your favorite cookie cutter to cut out the cookie dough.
Use the back of a spoon or the bottom of glass to lightly flatten the cookies and make sure they are well spaced for baking.
Store your buttery sugar cookies in an airtight container so they will retain their chewy goodness. You can also freeze the cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer bag or container.
These are the best sugar cookies
Like I said earlier, you can never have too many cookie recipes, especially this easy sugar cookie recipe without vanilla. I think the lemon zest gives it a wonderful fresh flavour! If you love this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating, and leave a comment below!