Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Cake Mix Recipe
What could be more perfect on a sunny weekend morning than to bake a batch of yummy muffins?
You know when you’re the only one up, the dogs have been walked, and you’ve just finished that first cup of coffee.
You with me?
This post may contain affiliate links* what does that mean?
Originally published March 27, 2018 and updated February 28, 2020.
What if I were to tell you that I’d come up with the easiest recipe yet – Skinny Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Cake Mix that you could make start to finish in 35 minutes.
Sound good? And besides that these muffins were only 224 calories and 6 grams of fat?
Well, that’s what we’re going to do together today. Bake my skinny lemon poppy seed muffin recipe, and make it light, because you know those muffins carry a lot of calories in them, and we want BIG flavor and less calories. Am I right?
OK, so I thought about how I could help you make the best ever lemon poppy seed muffins recipe. And I know that baking from scratch is best, but sometimes we all need a little help in the time department. As in, I don’t have a lot of time to bake, Judy. I hear ya!
So this skinny lemon poppy seed muffin recipe is full of amazing goodness, like plain yogurt, fresh lemon juice and zest, and eggs. And a cake mix.
Yep! A white Duncan Hines Cake Mix I had in the pantry and I checked the expiry date (you should always do this) and we were good to go.
You can usually buy cake mixes when they are on sale, and pick up half a dozen at a time, and I bought this one for a dollar. Seriously! Because we all have budgets and need to spend our pennies wisely, right?
Now before we get into the ingredients and “how to make the best lemon poppy seed muffins” I do have a few baking tips that will give you the lightest, most delicious muffins.
Random Muffin Baking Tips:
• Use ingredients at room temperature and this tip includes eggs especially. Cold eggs will give you a flat muffin top and we want that muffin to have a golden round top.
• Sift the dry ingredients for the reason that you will end up with a lighter, fluffier batter. I know it takes a few extra minutes, but it’s so worth it and you’ll be glad you did!
• Mix the wet in the dry – and fold them together ever so lightly. Because heavy mixing of muffin batter equals heavy, tough muffins. Enough said.
Who came up with the first recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins? Well wiki says poppy seed muffins have been around a long time, Americans have been making a variety of muffins since the 19th century.
What You Need:
• 1 white cake mix
• 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 medium egg & one egg yolk
• 1 cup non fat yogurt plain
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1 tbsp. zest (lemon)
Lemon Yogurt Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon non fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Let’s make it!
Preheat Oven to 350F/180C
- In a large bowl, sift together the cake mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the poppy seeds
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and zest together
- Make a well in the dry ingredients (just like the image shown)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Using a spatula, fold together very gently. You want to mix both, but don’t be fussed if you can see some dry bits. This isn’t like mixing cake batter, ok?
- Line your muffin pan with paper muffin cups, and scoop in the batter, filling the cups 2/3.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and glaze. Store in an air tight container – or freeze.
Enjoy this recipe!
And that’s it! The sweet lemon-y smell will coax the fam out of their beds and there you’ll be, in your sunny kitchen, with a plate of freshly baked lemon poppy seed muffins, looking ever so smart. You’re welcome! Let’s get together and maybe we can make something again soon, ok?
If you loved this recipe, make sure you pin it for later and share it with your friends!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.