This Sour Cherry Cake Recipe is crazy good and crazy addictive! The tart cherries paired with the simple cake recipe create the perfect flavorful dessert.
I’m a huge fan of frozen or fresh sour cherries because they’re a great way to take an original recipe and transform it into delicious recipes that you’ll love!
The bright red cherry halves create not only a delicious cake to eat but a perfect one to stare at, too!
The exterior of the cake is similar to a true pound cake, but the top always has room for a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a big helping of whipped topping. If this is your first time making this delicious cherry cake recipe, get ready to fall in love!
Delicious Frozen Sour Cherries
While I love fresh cherries, I also love knowing that I have a freezer full of tart fruit. Finding sour cherries in the center of the cake and the sides of the cake are some of the best flavors ever.
As a professional cake tester (lol), I can promise you that this cake may have tart cherries in it, but they taste perfectly balanced with the rest of the cake batter and ingredients!
Sour Cherry Cake Recipe Ingredients
All you need to make this German sour cherry cake is listed below. It’s so good and such a swift little recipe to make.
- Frozen sour cherries halved
- All-purpose flour (unbleached)
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Eggs, at room temperature
- Pure vanilla extract
- Sour cream, at room temperature
- Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting at the very end!)
How to make Sour Cherry Cake with Warm Cherry Syrup
You’re going to love the ease of this cherry cake recipe. Every step is listed below – and simple to do!
Step 1: Prep the cherries
Slice the frozen cherries in half and place in a small bowl with ½ cup of sugar.
Step 2: Prep the pan
Prepare your bundt pan by spraying it with Pam Baking Spray.
Step 3: Mix the dry ingredients
Mix the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 4: Add the sugar and butter
Using a stand mixer, cream butter, then add sugar and beat on high until really fluffy.
Step 5: Add the eggs
Gradually mix in eggs one at a time.
Step 6: Add the vanilla
Beat in vanilla.
Step 7: Mix in the flour
Mix in the flour and sour cream – a cup or so at a time until everything is well blended.
Step 8: Drain the cherries
Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid for later
Step 9: Fold the cherries
Fold the cherries into the cake batter gently – two or three stirs should do it.
Step 10: Add the cake batter to the pan
Spoon the cake batter into the pan evenly.
Step 11: Shake the batter
Shake the bundt pan lightly so that the batter and fruit will settle.
Step 12: Bake
Bake at 325 F degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes – baking times can vary.
When the cake is golden brown, remove it carefully from the oven.
Your cake is done if a wooden pick comes out clean!
Step 13: Cool
Cool it on a wire rack. Only invert the cake on your favorite cake plate once it’s completely cool.
Step 14: Make the cherry sauce
In a small saucepan, heat the cherry juice until it bubbles.
Step 15: Add the sauce
Once inverted, brush on the leftover cherry syrup on the top and sides.
Step 16: Add the sugar topping
Dust with confectioner’s sugar!
- If you don’t have tart cherries, dark sweet cherries are good as well. Fresh fruit will work in a pinch, too.
- Make sure that you grease the bottom and the sides of the pan so that the cake doesn’t stick!
- Save some reserved cherry syrup, just in case you need or want to add more!
- If you don’t want to make this in a bundt pan, you can use a 9-inch cake pan as well.
- Stock up at the Farmers Market during the sour cherry season and put them in the freezer for later! (or pick some from your cherry tree if you have your own!)
Can I use premade cherry glaze?
If you don’t want to make your own syrup, the good thing is that you can add the cherry glaze. It’ll work just fine adding to the surface of the cake.
What do I do if the cake sticks to my bundt pan?
Use a rubber spatula and try and get it loose from the sides of the pan. You can also use a butter knife to try and work it around the edges.
How do I store leftovers to enjoy the next day?
I always cover the cake with plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container. Keeping it stored this way in the fridge is the best way to keep the homemade cake fresh and delicious.
What to serve on the top of the cake
You can add whipped cream, powdered sugar, or even a scoop or two of ice cream.
Where did I get my inspiration for this recipe?
Let’s just say I like bundt cake and fruit. This Best Strawberry Pound Cake With Cream Cheese (Homemade) is proof!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the Pie Lady Bakes community where you will find vintage recipes like Mom and Grandma used to make, but that are so easy!
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s absolutely free!
See you soon!
If you have made this delicious Sour Cherry Cake, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to give it a 5 star rating!
Want more fruit recipes?
- Triple Berry Cake Recipe
- Apple Pie Coffee Cake | Love in a Pan!
- Rustic Pear & Blueberry Tart (Galette)
- Cherry Pie Recipe | Grandma’s Favorite
- Peach Cobbler
Hey Rockstar Baker! Show your superpowers!
Sour Cherry Cake Recipe
This simple cherry cake recipe is the best!
- 2 cups frozen sour cherries halved
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' sugar (for dusting at the very end!)
- Slice the frozen cherries in half and place in a small bowl with ½ cup of sugar
- Prepare your bundt pan by spraying it with Pam Baking Spray
- Mix the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside
- Using a stand mixer In a large bowl cream butter, then add sugar and beat on high until really fluffy
- Gradually mix in eggs one at a time
- Beat in vanilla
- Mix in the flour and sour cream - a cup or so at a time until everything is well blended.
- Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid for later
- Fold the cherries into the cake batter gently - two or three stirs should do it.
- Spoon the cake batter into the pan evenly.
- Shake the bundt pan lightly so that the batter and fruit will settle
- Bake at 325 F degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes - baking times can vary.
- When the cake is golden brown remove it carefully from the oven
- You cake is done if a wooden pick comes out clean
- Cool it on a wire rack. Only invert the cake on your favorite cake plate once it’s completely cool.
- In a small saucepan heat the cherry juice until it bubbles.
- Once inverted, brush on the leftover cherry syrup on the top and sides.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar enjoy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Acrylic Cake Stand with Dome Cover (6 in 1) Multi-Functional Serving Platter and Cake Plate - Use as Cake Holder, Salad Bowl, Platter, Punch Bowl, Desert Platter, Nachos & Salsa Plate
Nordic Ware Pro Cast Original Bundt Pan, 12 Cup, Grey
PAM Baking Spray with Flour 5 fl oz PACK , 15 Ounce, (Pack of 3)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 648Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 1gSugar: 66gProtein: 7g
17 of The Best Cake Recipes (Easy, Homemade & Perfect for Celebrations!)
If you've been looking for a delicious spice cake that looks as good as it tastes you've arrived! A rich moist cake you can bake in a bundt pan, square or as a layer cake, and smother it in creamy cinnamon cream cheese frosting. xo
This simple carrot cake recipe will serve a crowd or makes amazing muffins too! A great recipe for carrot cake that is perfect for beginner bakers.
A delicious moist cake that easy to make, packes with sweet juicy apples, and flavored with rum and yummy spices.
A decadent and delicious chocolate cake that is rich, moist and stuffed with chocolate caramels, and frosted with chocolate buttercream. A chocolate lover's dream.
Just a teeny bit of cayenne pepper makes the chocolate flavours explode in this yummy chocolate bundt cake. And it feeds a crowd too!
Remember Harvey Wallbanger? Well now you get to enjoy that citrusy drink in your cake. And we make the cake in the slow cooker. You have to try it!
A delicious and decadent pound cake with cream cheese that has a cobbler topping. Just look at those peaches and brown sugar! Oh and don't forget to add some caramel sauce. LOL.
You will love how easy it is to make this amazing Strawberry Pound Cake. Packed with fresh juicy strawberries and yummy cream cheese, we serve it naked and enjoy all that delicious pound cake goodness.
Now before you make icky faces hear us out! Mayo has eggs and oil right? That's what makes this chocolate cake the richest, most decadent cake of all. Great for birthdays and really anything at all. A one bowl scratch cake you will love.
We love this vintage Orange Cranberry Cake. Cranberry Cake Recipes are perfect anytime and when combined with sweet orange flavour this cake is a winner.
A richly flavored lemon loaf cake - almost like pound cake with a creamy vanilla frosting. Just like the lemon loaf cake you get at Starbucks!
We use a yellow cake mix to make this moist and easy to make Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The cake batter bakes into the pineapple slices, maraschino cherries and brown sugar and butter in the bottom. Yum! Yum!
A rich and delicious Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake Recipe with a thick Chocolate Frosting, mixes up in one bowl, and looks beautiful when baked in a Bundt Pan. So easy, yet so very good, this cake has BIG Chocolate flavor.
Chocolate lava cakes are those gooey chocolate confections you can usually order at Applebees or Kelseys. Now you can make your very own in the slow cooker!
Apples and cake are just a match made in heaven, and we top off this rich cake with lots of caramel sauce and the best vanilla ice cream. Yum. Yum!
A delicious and easy recipe that is a quick bread - it does not require yeast, passed down from my Grandma. I've added a sweet apple pie topping, that once warmed will make you fall in love with your coffee all over again!
A light, moist and richly delicious coffee cake that is perfect for Brunch, Breakfast or any ole time at all.
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.