This amazing upside down apple cake recipe is an adaptation from my favorite recipe place food.com. It is so delicious, full of good things and it’s like eating a baked apple surrounded by yummy cake!
The baked apples are surrounded by a moist, dense cake, lightly spiced with ginger and cinnamon and my favorite way to eat it is slightly warm with a big scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream!
I love to bake with apples any time of the year but especially in the fall. And this Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe will not disappoint.
We like to serve it with a big ole scoop of the best vanilla ice cream you can find, and drizzle a little homemade caramel sauce over it.
Did I say a little? Silly me.
You will need an apple corer for this upside down apple cake recipe, a 9 X 9 pan and the usual baking bowls, a hand held mixer and measuring spoons and cups. You can everything you need at the STORE. The STORE lists all of my favorite baking tools and the links take you straight to Amazon! How easy is that?
You will need about 90 minutes from start to finish to make this upside down apple cake recipe. I would allow for about 30 minutes of prep and 60 minutes to bake and cool.
Varieties of apples: I used Jersey Macs for this recipe, but any apple that is good for cooking will do. Here is a chart that may help!
Just make sure the apples are on the small side, since you want to be able to fit the nine halves in the bottom of your baking dish.
Ingredients for your Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, cut up
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 small cooking apples
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions – before starting any recipe, I always advise folks to check their oven temperatures and times to cook. Some ovens are fast, some are slow. So if in doubt, subtract a few minutes at the start – you can always add a little time at the end.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180C
- Place 1/3 cup butter in a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Place in oven 5 minutes or until butter melts.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and stir until the brown sugar melts into the butter.
- Core 6 small apples and cutting them in half across the widest part or the middle (not down the core as you usually do to eat an apple)
- Arrange 9 apple halves in the brown sugar mixture, with the cut sides down. I didn’t peel mine and enjoyed the texture – but that’s a personal thing – if you want to peel them go ahead.
- Bake in oven 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, peel remaining apples. Coarsely shred; set aside.
- In bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon. Add shredded apple, milk, 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low until combined; beat on medium 1 minute. Spoon over apples, spread evenly (apple may be exposed; some butter may come to surface).
- Bake 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool your upside down apple cake in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen edges; invert onto platter. Spoon any topping in pan over top. Cool 20 minutes; serve with ice cream. Makes 9 servings.