This amazing upside down apple cake recipe is an adaptation from my favorite recipe place food.com. It is so delicious, full of good things and it’s like eating a baked apple surrounded by yummy cake!
The baked apples are surrounded by a moist, dense cake, lightly spiced with ginger and cinnamon and my favorite way to eat it is slightly warm with a big scoop of freshly made Whipped Cream!
I love to bake with apples any time of the year, but especially in the fall. And this Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe will not disappoint.
We like to serve it with a big ole scoop of yummy whipped cream you can find, and drizzle a little homemade caramel sauce over it.
You’re going to love this delicious apple upside down cake! There’s nothing better than a homemade warm cake that is perfect for the fall season.
Did I say a little? Silly me.
You will need an apple corer for this upside down apple cake recipe, a 9 X 9 pan and the usual baking bowls, a hand held mixer and measuring spoons and cups. You can everything you need at the STORE. The STORE lists all of my favorite baking tools and the links take you straight to Amazon! How easy is that?
You will need about 90 minutes from start to finish to make this upside down apple cake recipe. I would allow for about 30 minutes of prep and 60 minutes to bake and cool.
Varieties of apples: I used Gala apples for this recipe, but any apple that is good for cooking will do. Here is a chart that may help!
Just make sure the apples are sliced thinly for the bottom of your baking dish.
Ingredients for your Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- Butter, cut up
- Packed brown sugar
- Small cooking apples
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Butter, softened
Directions – before starting any recipe, I always advise folks to check their oven temperatures and times to cook. Some ovens are fast, some are slow. So if in doubt, subtract a few minutes at the start – you can always add a little time at the end.
Step 1: Preheat
Preheat oven to 350°F/180C
Step 2: Add the butter and melt
Place 1/3 cup butter in a 9×9-inch baking pan.
Place in oven 5 minutes or until butter melts.
Step 3: Add the sugar
Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and stir until the brown sugar melts into the butter.
Step 4: Peel and slice the apples
Peel and slice 3 medium apples.
Step 5: Arrange the apples
Arrange the apple slices in the brown sugar mixture, creating a pattern.
Step 6: Bake
Bake in oven 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly.
Step 7: Shred the leftover apples
Meanwhile, coarsely shred the remaining apples. (about 1 cup); set aside.
Step 8: Combine remaining ingredients
In bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon. Add shredded apple, milk, 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low until combined; beat on medium 1 minute. Spoon over apples, spread evenly (apple may be exposed; some butter may come to surface).
Step 9: Bake
Bake 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool your upside down apple cake in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen edges; invert onto platter. Spoon any topping in pan over top.
Step 10: Cool
Cool 20 minutes; serve with ice cream or freshly whipped cream. Makes 9 servings.
- Change up the type of fresh apples that you use each time you make this recipe! I love adding some to the top of the cake to give it a new flavor.
- This is great to make during apple season when the apples are fresh and in season. There’s nothing like fall flavors like in-season apples!
- To get a moist apple cake, pay attention to the baking times. (you can also add a tiny dollop of sour cream to the batter when you’re making it)
- If you want a tart cake, granny smith apples are a great choice. If you want a sweet cake, pink lady apples are so good.
- If you don’t want to use a bundt cake pan, you can use a round cake pan and prepare it using nonstick cooking spray.
Can I add apple cider to this cake?
This cake takes simple ingredients to make, but a small splash of apple cider is a great idea! Just make sure that you’re not adding too much, and mix it in the batter using a circular pattern of stirring.
What makes this the perfect dessert for fall?
This easy dessert just screams fall because of the caramel-like flavor! It has great flavor and is a great way to eat your apple a day!
What toppings would go well on this whole cake recipe?
Sliced apple wedges would be good – as would a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add whatever your sweet tooth is craving!
If you enjoyed this upside down apple cake recipe then please check out my other apple dessert recipes!
Baked apples and a deliciously moist cake all in one recipe!
- 1/3 cup butter, cut up
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium apples (I used Gala) peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180C
- Place 1/3 cup butter in a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Place in oven 5 minutes or until butter melts.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and stir until the brown sugar melts into the butter.
- Peel 3 medium apples and slice them thinly (Used the apple slicer in the product list below)
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the butter and brown sugar mixture in a pattern as shown in the photo. Keep the rest of the apple slices aside that you don't use.
- Bake in oven 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Using a grater, coarsely shred the remaining apple slices. You will have close to a cup depending upon the size of your apples. Set aside.
- In bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Add shredded apple, milk, 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat with electric mixer on low until combined; beat on medium 1 minute.
- Spoon the batter over the apples, brown sugar and butter, spread evenly (apple may be exposed; some butter may come to surface).
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges and invert onto a plate big enough for the cake.
- Spoon any topping in pan over top.
- After 20 minutes cut into squares and serve with ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.