Easy Chicken Pot Pie
A fragrant and savory chicken pot pie with puff pastry crust, that is healthy to eat and delicious too. The puff pastry top crust is crunchy, buttery and far fewer calories than a traditional pie crust. Just follow my tips and you can make this easy chicken pot pie tonight. We use store bought frozen puff pastry!
And just for fun I’ve included a great YouTube video on how to make a chicken pot pie with puff pastry below!
I know you you need to get a meal on the table in 30 minutes or less and this chicken pot pie recipe delivers! Our chicken pot pie with puff pastry recipe is perfect for chicken or turkey leftovers. But be sure to check out the recipe below to see our shortcut!
The chicken pot pie filling is really full of flavour. You can use leftover vegetables here too. I’ve included carrots and green beans for this chicken pot pie but you can experiment.
Now the cast iron pan is optional, so don’t fret if you don’t have one. But I guarantee that once you start cooking and baking with cast iron, you will be hooked!
This recipe was first published September 2016 and updated December 21, 2018.
You will need: package of frozen puff pastry, one rotisserie chicken (not BBQ) a potato, celery, frozen peas & carrots, cornstarch, flour, butter, salt & pepper, chicken broth, a cooking onion.
Just thinking about taking a Chicken Pot Pie right from the oven makes my mouth water.
The tender chunks of chicken, nestled among onion, potato, peas or carrots and smothered by a deliciously flaky puff pastry – that’s how I spell c-o-m-f-o-r-t.
There are a number of chicken pot pie recipes around. This chicken pot pie recipe is one I adapted a few years ago from an easy double crust chicken pot pie recipe in a food magazine sponsored by Walmart. I don’t think it’s in print now.
Got leftover turkey? This is the perfect recipe for Turkey Pot Pie too!
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE WITH PUFF PASTRY CRUST BACKSTORY
Traditional chicken pot pies have a double crust, and those are certainly delicious. But it does take extra time if you are making your pie crust from scratch. I have a wonderful How To Make Perfect Flaky Pie Crust guide to help you with that!
But we want to save some time today right?
The first time I made the recipe, I followed the instructions exactly and used a pie crust for the top and bottom. It was so awesome!
And because I was working full time, commuting to my job three hours a day (round trip) I was looking for easy recipes that I could make ahead – like on the weekend and then freeze so we could have a hot yummy meal later in the week. Sound good?
But you know me, right?! I love to change things up, and find an easier, and quicker way to make dinner! And this recipe will let you make a fresh, hot chicken pot pie in 30 minutes. Easy Peasy.
I often serve this Chicken Pot Pie in the summer, after we’ve come off the golf course, we tired and hungry and this is a one pot meal!
Honestly I don’t know how you folks do it today. Travelling long distances to jobs, returning home to the suburbs and then having to get a meal ready before taking your kids to soccer, hockey or dance lessons! All I had to do was get home to walk the dogs!
I hope that this recipe will make your life easier, and help with your weekly meal planning too.
I love this homemade easy chicken pot pie with puff pastry crust recipe because:
- it’s full of flavor
- comes together very quickly
- it’s a skinny chicken pot pie! Way lighter in calories than using traditional pie crust
- the ingredients are either in your pantry or waiting to be picked up on the way home from work!
Tips for Making a Perfect Chicken Pot Pie
- Keep a package of puff pastry in your freezer all the time. They keep for several months, and then you can defrost it in the fridge over night.
- Follow the recipe exactly.
- Skin the chicken, then you can easily debone the meat, it just falls off the bones! Package any leftovers in freezer bag for chicken soup!
- Be sure to season the filling as it cooks, and don’t be afraid to add salt!
- Brush the Puff pastry with an egg wash (one egg yolk in a cup with half a cup of water) to give it a golden glow.
- Bake your chicken pot pie in the bottom third of the oven.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I’ve used cast iron skillets for many years. These pans will never wear out, you will have it for life! Just be sure to clean them with only water and a scrub brush and then treat them with a small amount of cooking oil.
You may also like these savory pie recipes!
If you love this easy chicken pot pie with puff pastry be sure to check out my other savory pie recipes!
Want a pot pie with a pastry crust? The Pioneer Woman has one of my absolute favourites!
Host a Chicken Pot Pie Baking Party!
Something that is fun to do and ultimately saves time and money is to gather a few friends and schedule a Saturday to have a Chicken Pot Pie Baking Party.
• You offer to organize the ingredients and do the shopping.
• Everyone pays their share of the cost of the ingredients
• Each guest brings their own pie tins and pans.
• Chicken pies can be baked at your house – OR everyone can take their prepared pot pies home and bake them there!
I just love this idea! Please let me know if you go ahead and have your own Chicken Pot Pie Baking Party!
Here’s the video I was telling you about! Enjoy. xo
Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry Crust
I think chicken pot pie is the number one choice of savory pies – You can make it in a number of ways and sizes. Mini chicken pot pies are perfect for a quick meal. Bake up a batch and pop them in the freezer. Then thaw and serve with a salad!
Once you try this chicken pot pie with puff pastry crust that is so quick to make and delicious you will leave those pre-made, frozen chicken pot pies at the store. Guaranteed! Got leftovers? Well, we never have any, but if you do, just pop it back into the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the puff pastry.
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating.
A delicious chicken pot pie you can make tonight, using a pre-cooked or leftover chicken, store bought frozen puff pastry and ingredients that are readily at hand.
- 6 tbsp. butter
- ¼ c all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ c milk
- ½ c onion , cooking
- 10 oz chicken broth, 284 ml, condensed
- ½ c potato, raw, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ c cooked chicken, store bought –roasted, or pre-cooked package
- ¾ c peas and carrots, frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry, frozen, then thawed, the kind that doesn't need rolling
- 1 stalk celery , chopped
- Mix 2 tbsp of the butter with the flour and put aside
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the milk and set this aside
- Using a large cast iron pan, cook the onion and celery in the 4 tbsp. of butter and season with salt and pepper to your taste
- Add the potato and the broth and bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the butter/flour mixture and stir this in.
- When the mixture has started to boil again, remove it from the heat source and stir in the milk & cornstarch.
- Put the pan back on the stove and bring it to a boil once again, then remove it from the heat and stir in the peas & carrots and the chicken.
- Cover with a lid to cool while you get your puff pastry ready!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C with the top rack in the lowest position. This is also known as the bottom third of your oven.
- Following the package instructions unroll one sheets of puff pastry.
- Make sure the cooled chicken mixture is mounding slightly in the middle of the skillet.
- Place the sheet of puff pastry on the top, and cut a few of vents into the top crust with a knife. This will allow the steam to escape and also will make your crust very flaky!
- Crimp the edges of your puff pastry around the edge of the cast iron pan and brush the entire top crust and edges with milk
- Bake for 50 minutes, the let cool for about 20 minutes before serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Puff Pastry Perfection: More Than 175 Recipes for Appetizers, Entrees, & Sweets Made with Frozen Puff Pastry Dough
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25", Black
Homwe Silicone Oven Mitts with Quilted Cotton Lining - Professional Heat Resistant Pot Holders - Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g