Remember Pop Tarts? Well I think this easy hand pies recipe comes pretty close! 🙂
Your kids will have so much fun making this Easy Cherry and Blueberry Hand Pies Recipe! If you need a quick dessert for a last minute BBQ or potluck, then this easy hand pies recipe will deliver.
When the kids are saying “Mom I’m bored!” then here is an activity that will put a smile on everyone’s face.
Easy Family Recipes are the best. Guaranteed!
The best part? You will create a lasting memory with your child by spending this creative time with them.
This post was originally published on September 12, 2015 and updated on May 19, 2018.
You will need: 1 package of frozen puff pastry, one can each of cherry and blueberry pie filling, powdered sugar for the icing.
EASY HAND PIES RECIPE BACKSTORY
This easy hand pies recipe is a perfect recipe for kids! I just discovered frozen puff pastry a short time ago. Yes, I know welcome to the 21st century! But being a scratch baker, I couldn’t imagine that something frozen and packaged could taste as good as something that I could prepare from scratch. Boy was I wrong! I used frozen puff pastry, for the first time a few weeks back, when I made Salted Caramel and Chocolate Mousse in Puff Pastry. It was pretty amazing and received great reviews from my family and our RV neighbors, at the Double M. We are full time (almost) RV’ers, downsizing and getting ready for life on the road. So I’ve been experimenting with recipes I can bake in the RV’s gas oven.
And I’m always on the lookout for fun recipes that I can bake with the grandkids. My oldest grandson, Nathan is in his twenties now, but I remember the first time we made pancakes together. Those are the memories that grandmas never forget.
Our youngest grandchild, the famous Louisa just had her first baking experience with me, so I think we’ll try this recipe next!
With only 3 ingredients, this easy hand pies recipe also fits every food budget! Frozen puff pastry and a can of pie filling. It doesn’t get much easier than this!
Our Gummy Worm Cereal Treats are another great recipe that kids can bake themselves! We know they love gummy worms right?
TIPS FOR BAKING PERFECT CHERRY AND BLUEBERRY HAND PIES
- This easy hand pies recipe makes 12 pies – 6 of each, and you will have lots of pie filling left over to either freeze or make more hand pies!
- Follow the instructions exactly.
- Try not to overfill the hand pies. But then again if you do, don’t worry, the filling just oozes out!
- Brush the puff pastry with an egg wash (one egg yolk and 1/2 cup water mixed) to get a golden glow.
- Let the pies cool completely before icing.
YOU MAY NEED….
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of You Can Live Rich On Less/Pie Lady Bakes!
I use this wire cooling rack so often, I couldn’t even begin to tell you what a time saver it is! And it’s an Amazon bestseller too!
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE….
Here are more Easy Family Recipes that include frozen puff pastry! Pretty Awesome! Just click on the images for the recipe.
EASY CHERRY AND BLUEBERRY HAND PIES (POP TARTS)
I can’t think of a better way to spend time together than baking these delicious cherry and blueberry hand pies. It’s such a simple thing to do, but as I’ve said earlier, you will be creating memories, maybe even a tradition with your children, grandchildren or young friends. Baking and cooking are a very creative activity and if you are a beginner baker yourself, you will gain a tremendous amount of confidence with this easy hand pies recipe.
If you like this recipe (and had fun!) please give it a 5 star rating.
- 1 pkg puff pastry, frozen
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1 can cherry pie filling
Preparation: (prep time - 30 minutes, start to finish)
- Defrost the puff pastry in your refrigerator overnight. Separate the dough into two squares (the brand I use does this for you)
- Spread a piece of parchment paper and a little flour to make rolling easy.
- Roll out the square of puff pastry, fairly thin into a rectangle. (the instructions will say 12 X 9)
- Cut the pastry into small squares – you will get 6 squares per section.
- Place the small square of puff pastry on the baking sheet you will use.
- Using a teaspoon the blueberry filling in on the one side of the square – leaving enough room so that you will be able to fold over the dough
- Fold the dough over and pinch the edges closed. I like to press the edges with a fork
- Brush the pastry with an egg yolk wash and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Repeat until finished and do the same for the second square of puff pastry, using the cherry pie filling.
- Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes – until the pastry is flaky and golden.
- Let cool before serving as the filling will be very hot!
- Mix up some icing sugar glaze ( 3 parts icing sugar to 1 part water) and drizzle on the pies when they are still warm. Yum!
Garnish: Mix up some icing sugar glaze ( 3 parts icing sugar to 1 part water) and drizzle on the pies when they are still warm. Yum!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
MORE RECIPE FAVES!
These Easy Blueberry and Cherry Hand Pies are great for your next BBQ or potluck and the leftovers can go into lunches for the week! The kids will love them because they are copycat Pop Tarts!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.